Parents and carers

If in doubt, speak out.

I’m worried my child has been abused or is at risk

  • Talk to your child. Listen calmly and don’t get angry but reassure them that it’s not their fault and encourage them to tell you what’s happened;
  • If they are in immediate harm or in need of emergency medical attention call the emergency services on 999;
  • Otherwise call Trafford Children's First Response on 0161 912 5125.


Public Health England (PHE) have published advice to help adults with caring responsibilities look after the mental health and wellbeing of children or young people, including those with additional needs and disabilities, during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

This can be viewed on the website.

My child is being bullied at school, what do I do?

  • Talk to the school and ask for support to help your child with the bullying;
  • Visit Childline which has a really useful section on bullying. Encourage your child to visit the site too.

I’m worried that someone who works with children or young people may pose a risk

You should be worried about a person who works with children if they have harmed a child, possibly committed a criminal offence against or related to a child, or if they have behaved in a way that suggests they are unsuitable to work with children.

Firstly speak to the person’s manager about your concerns. They, or another senior member of staff, will contact the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO).

Useful information