Financial and Material Abuse
Financial or material abuse can occur in isolation, but research has shown where there are other forms of abuse, there is likely to be financial abuse occurring. Although this is not always the case, everyone should be aware of this possibility. Potential indicators of financial abuse include:
- Change in living conditions
- Lack of heating, clothing or food
- Inability to pay bills/unexplained shortage of money
- Unexplained withdrawals from an account
- Unexplained loss/misplacement of financial documents
- The recent addition of authorised signers on a client’s or donors signature card
- Sudden or unexpected changes in a Will or other financial documents.
Report fraud and cyber crime
You can report fraud or cyber crime using the online reporting service any time of the day or night; the service enables you to both report a fraud and find help and support. They also provide help and advice over the phone through the Action Fraud contact centre. You can talk to their fraud and internet crime specialists by calling 0300 123 2040.
Kent Trading Standards have produced a video that highlights signs of doorstep crime and financial abuse.